The refurbishment of marine vessels presents several challenges:
- Many specialty and high performance coatings are used in the shipbuilding industry, which are difficult to remove with the use of conventional chemical strippers.
- The paint is often very thick in multiple layers, which is difficult to remove.
- Projects are often located in environmentally sensitive areas making it necessary to build elaborate containment structures for dust, odor and airborne particles and waterborne waste.
- The interiors of ships’ storage tanks and ballast tanks have intricate shapes and hard-to-reach places, where abrasive blasting becomes difficult and expensive.
- Down time for a ship is very expensive and quick turn-around times are essential.
Products are water-born, worker friendly, non-toxic and biodegradable. They are capable of removing the toughest marine coating systems, including Coal Tar Epoxies, Glass Flake Epoxies, Non-Skid Deck Coatings and Anti-Fouling Paint.. The product range includes:
2030: For thick film coatings and coal tar epoxies.
2010: For coatings on metal and other surfaces on the top side.
These products offer the following major benefits to the user:
- Multiple coats of paint removed with only one application.
- Safer work site while paint removal is being carried out.
- Ship’s crew can easily use the products during voyages.
- No need for extensive and elaborate containment systems.
- Can be easily applied in tight enclosed spaces like cargo holds and ballast tanks where blasting and toxic chemicals are difficult to use.
Comparative Test Results:
Tests conducted by Fleet Superintendents and independent inspection authorities have confirmed that produced very satisfactory surface preparation prior to re-coating. They confirmed that in many cases, was faster, cheaper and safer than UHP water jetting or conventional chemical stripping.